Monday, January 9, 2012

Positivity and Optimism


During a work meeting today I was reminded about the importance of these two words by a Leader I greatly admire at my work.

Positivity according to Dictionary.com: the state or character of being positive: a positivity that accepts the world as it is.

Optimism according to Dictionary.com: a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.




When bad things happen to us, it can be really hard to look at the good through the bad. I've been reminded how important it is to look at the positive. All over the news this week in MN have been stories about high school hockey players who have been severly injured. Jack has been told he won't ever walk again, yet his Mom was on the news sharing that Jack moved his hands on command and called it a miracle! What a great example...she could've focused on the negative reality doctors are sharing with her but she chose to focus on the positive.

This is another reminder to me to try and not sweat the small (ish) stuff. I am in pain right now, but at least I am able to get up, walk to take medicine, and function. If I don't get my paper in by TH at midnight, will that really be the "end of the world" I think it is? It could be a lot worse. Try not to sweat the "small stuff" and reasses what the "small stuff" is....(I am saying this not only as advice to you but mainly as a reminder to myself)

You can read more about the stories in the links below...

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/955290/14/Jabs-makes-strides-as-teammates-return-to-the-ice


http://www.kare11.com/news/article/955445/391/Injured-female-hockey-player-improving-sensing-pain
The belief that good ultimately predominates over evil in the world.

2 comments:

  1. About that paper...if you really aren't feeling well maybe you can email or talk with your professor and explain your medical issues. I know we all hate to use our medical conditions as excuses but sometimes they really truly do keep us behind just a bit. Maybe the prof can give you an extension on the due date for that paper. I mean you also work and all. And I so agree about those two words. I try every single day to stay on the positive side of things. I have always believed that the glass is half full and even when mine has been knocked over, I still believe there is lots left in there to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb, I did end up ask for an extension and my Professor granted it, now I have until Sunday night. And I agree...there is still lots to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete